What a pleasure it has been! Here I am a kilo or so heavier and my wallet is about the same amount lighter. Yarra Council has also done extremely well with parking fees.
I’ve eaten almost the entire sandwich list and quite a few other things besides. The pies, ready made meals and sweet things are great too.
It has been a lot of delicious fun. Many of the staff at the Deli knew me by name by a few days in, and knew of the project. They are all wonderful people. I had them make suggestions as to their favourites and the specials I should try.
The opinions are genuine, as they would be regardless of whether I paid or not. But in the interests of full disclosure I purchased all of the sandwiches except the final Home Alone. Mo wouldn’t let me pay for the final sandwich, she kindly gave it to me as a gift for finishing the project.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this very personal guide to the sandwiches. I have some well documented bigotry against pineapple in sandwiches, tempeh and savoury croissants. You may differ in your tastes, so don’t just take my word for it, go eat them yourself. It took me three months. 🙂
Here is a sandwich word cloud. The size of the words is based on my rankings.
Sandwiches I didn’t eat
- Free Willy – it had a superior twin the Free Willy 2
- Egg Salad – it had a superior twin Tim Curried Egg Salad
- Piggy Bundy – it had a superior twin The Better Bundy
- Nobody makes Friends with a Salad sandwich – meh, that includes me
- Velvet Elvis – Just a cheese toastie
- Hail Seitan! – pineapple in a sandwich, erk!
- The Big Muff – it was no longer available
Biggest surprises…things that I didn’t think were going to blow me away but did
- Free willy 2
- Little Havana
- The Wiggum
Other stellar things I ate
- A rose petal and persian fairy floss doughnut
- Challah sticky buns
- Quince & Custard danish
- Truffled Carbonara pasta sauce
- Beef bourguignon pie
- Chicken and bacon pie
And the winners are….
The whole list in my preferred order with links to the reviews
- 11 Home Alone
- 11 Little Havana
- 10 Nobody Calls Me Chicken Salad
- 10 Tuna Patty Sandwich
- 10 Free Willy 2
- 10 Souvlaki
- 9.5 As-Salami-Lakum
- 9.5 The Wiggum
- 9 Foghorn Legless
- 9 The Temple of Doom
- 9 Rocky
- 8.5 Reubenstein
- 8 Tim Curried Egg Salad
- 8 Maury Ballstein
- 8 The Better Bundy
- 8 Truffle Shuffle
- 8 The Godfather
- 8 The Mensch
- 8 Burrito
- 7.5 Egg McMartinez
- 7.5 The Friend Zone
- 7 Anaphylaxis of Evil
- 7 Club Sandwiches Not Seals
- 7 Pesci Pesto
- 6.5 Buffalo The Vampire Slayer
- 6 Croissantwiches of Eastwick
- 6 Parmageddon
- 0 Hail Seitan!
So that’s me signing out from #veganmofo 2015.
Thanks S&D! I’ll be back, but perhaps not quite as often! 🙂
Smith & Deli
111 Moor St