I’m not fond of winter, it’s cold with short days. But it is completely redeemed by being the season of brussels sprouts.
I know some people hate them, but they REALLY are great fried or roasted.
This time I pan-fried them in a little olive oil with garlic and chopped dry roasted almonds. A lovely combination of flavours and texture.
This works as a vegetable side dish or with some pasta.
I ate it with some pasta and a sprinkling of Vegusto Piquant cheese. I didn’t photograph it before I scoffed it down.
- ½ tbs oil
- 8 Brussels sprouts per person
- ½ clove of garlic
- Salt to taste
- 8 dry roasted almonds
- Prepare the sprouts by removing the bottoms and any ratty looking outer leaves.
- Slice them vertically into 3mm slices.
- Heat the oil and fry the sprouts over a medium heat until they start to blacken and are tender.
- Add the garlic and fry for 30 secs.
- If the sprouts are still not tender put a tablespoon or two of water into the pan and cook until the water evaporates.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Add the chopped almonds and toss to combine.
- Serve as a dish on its own or with pasta.