roasted beetroot dip
I tried a Yumi’s beetroot dip recently. Many of the beetroot dips you can buy are not vegan but this one was. Normally I’m not a big fan of beetroot dips, but I liked this one so much I wanted to try to recreate it. As luck would have it, I had a stack of beetroot from a garden produce swap with a friend so I roasted them and made this dip. I’m not sure if it replicates the Yumi’s one or not because I don’t have any left to compare. But it is delicious anyway.
- 3-4 large beetroot (about 8-10 cm across)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1-2 clove garlic
- lemon juice (from a whole lemon)
- Peel and cut the beetroot into 3 cm chunks, put into a roasting pan with the unpeeled cloves of garlic and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and some salt
- Roast the beetroot and garlic in the oven at 180ºC / 350ºF until the beetroot is soft.
- Drop the beetroot and squeeze the roasted garlic paste (discard the skins) into the food processor. Add the cumin and pulse.
- Add up to a tablespoon of oil and blend until a rough paste. You still want some texture. Add the salt and lemon to taste.