I have always been terrible at making pancakes.
I have never really understood why, but it has always been so, both pre and post vegan. I produce sad, gluggy things that barely resemble the pancakes I remember. I like them light and fluffy.
I’ve finally worked out that it might be the flour I was using. I bake bread fairly often and I always have specialist high protein bread flour in the cupboard. I’d been using this for the pancakes and it isn’t really right. They need a softer, lower protein flour, so I recently made pancakes with some regular supermarket flour.
Not surprisingly they didn’t turn out sad at all, but light and fluffy, so I decided they deserved to be published. I mean look at them.They are gorgeous. If I sound a bit chuffed about them…that’s because I am.
I decided to take these in a Mexican direction so I topped them with some vegan butter and a salsa made from tomatoes, onion, coriander and avocado.
They also work as sweet pancakes, I ate the second lot with vegan butter and maple syrup.
I have finally conquered the pancake!
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg replacement (I used Orgran, but you could use flax seed emulsion or any other)
- ½ cup almond or soy milk. You need enough to make a thick spoonable batter.You may need a bit more but don't make them too runny.
- ¾ cup corn kernels (I used frozen, but fresh would be good)
- 6 cherry tomatoes diced
- ¼ avocado diced
- 1 tsp finely diced onion
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tbs chopped coriander
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl.
- Mix the egg replacement and non dairy milk together and add to the flour mix.
- Stir until well combined.
- Fold in the corn kernels.
- Heat a heavy pan over medium heat and melt a mix of oil and vegan butter until it sizzles.
- Add scoops of batter to the pan, the pancakes should be about 3-4 inches across.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until small bubbles appear in the top and start to burst, and the edges start to dry out a bit.
- Flip and cook for another 2 minutes on the other side.
- Mix the salsa ingredients together.
- Serve the pancakes with some vegan butter and the salsa.